Thursday, March 19, 2015

God, Suffering and Evil: Part Two

As a Jew, I am certainly not alone in my wrestling with and about God.   Thousands of years ago the writers of the Jewish Bible also wrestled with these questions.  I studied these stories: Abraham questioning the justice of  God, Jacob wrestling with the God in the middle of the night, Moses puzzled about God’s methodology, Job questioning and accusing God of wrongdoing, Jeremiah disputing with God about the ethics of his calling. I immersed myself in the laments of the Psalter.  Over one third of these prayers are  made up of questions addressed to God.  I even wrote a doctoral dissertation on these laments.  But there was a difference  For all of their questions, the biblical writers would not or could not conclude that there was no God.  As the text asserts, “The fool says in his heart there is no God.” (Psalm 14:1) The writers of the Bible looked at and experienced  the nature of the world and trusted in God despite. And right there was the real difference.  They experienced the world and trusted despite.  So many Rabbis throughout Jewish tradition were able to trust God despite, in spite and even to spite God.  

I experience the world today as a modern person  and sometimes conclude that there is no God.  Am I wise or a fool?  

1 comment:

  1. Though I am not a "trekkie" I think you and I could be called "Klingons" since we want to cling to the hope that there is a god! I have been a Lutheran pastor for nearly 30 years and I struggled during most of that time with the reality of God, the definition of God, and the character of God. Honestly, I hope there is a god and that all the promises of God will come true, but frankly I see no evidence of that being the case. What kind of god is worth worshipping who turns away from the immense suffering and sorrow of the innocent that plagues our world? And why is all of this necessary in the first place? If there is a heaven, why put us here - why not skip to the chase? Just sayin...It doesn't make sense. I am a father and I would never treat my child like God treats us. Why the mystery and the intrigue? Why the indifference and the distance? Perhaps it is God who should be begging for our forgiveness instead of the other way around, for creating and then abandoning a world filled with evil, sickness, suffering, and sorrow? Just a thought..

    ReplyDelete