Friday, September 1, 2017

All Beginnings are Hard


It's that time again.  Chaim Potok wrote, “all beginnings are hard.”  Such is the rhythm for those of us who teach.  September means beginning again.  I have walked through this beginning many times.  You would think I would have it down by now.  But there is still a nervous fearful anxious feeling in the pit of my brain, a sense that the wonderful exciting dread time is once again upon us.  Soon, I will have to stand up and talk.

And I am asking myself, what makes for such stress and nervousness?  Is it fear of failure?  Is it fear that I have lost my touch?  Do I wonder if I am getting too old to do this anymore?  Do I wonder if it is fair and right for someone who was Christian and now Jewish to teach Christians about their tradition?  I suppose all of those are factors.  But, I sense it’s something more.

The fact is I love to teach religion.  But teaching religion is not easy.  It’s not just a matter of getting up and talking or sharing information. This is necessary and this I will do.  Teaching religion is teaching young people to think about their faith.  And this kind of thinking is hard work.  Let’s face it: When it comes to religion, many people have not been trained to think. They have been trained to believe.   

And when I stare into their young and mostly innocent eyes, it scares me to have to tell them: God, Jesus, the Bible and religion are a bit more complicated then they might have thought.  My goal is not to hurt their faith but to deepen it.  I do not teach for the tradition, nor against the tradition, but within the tradition.  So, deepening the faith of students involves telling them some things they may not want to hear such as:  The Bible was not dictated by God to the writers.  Adam and Eve were not real people though their story is true.  The notion that everything happens for a reason has some problems.  Not all Christians believe Jesus died for our sins.  Sometimes the best way to express your faith is to hurl questions at the deity.  Judaism and Islam have millions of followers, who believe Christianity is wrong.   

To possess a mature faith means to trust without being afraid of the questions. It also means to think that you could be wrong.

So, here we go again.  All beginnings are hard.  I am excited and apprehensive.  Despite that, I am committed to the notion that a religious person who is not afraid to think and has his or her eyes wide open is closer to the truth.  And wherever the truth is, that’s where God is as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment