Friday, March 8, 2019

On the Shelf


I love my books.  I love being surrounded by my books at my office.  But, on occasion students will come into my office and marvel at all my books.  Then they ask that terrible question, “Have you read all of these?”   I answer, “Some of them twice.”


Academics collect books and they read some of them.  For me and maybe for you too, books can be aspirational.  I want to have read them and their being on my shelf speaks of their potential chance of being read. 


There are books on the shelf I have read.  There are books I want to read.  There are books I think I should read.  There are books I will never read but I want them there on the shelf like people I hope to call one day and see how they are doing.  On the shelf is a place of honor. 


The shelf is a special mysterious place.  Over the years there are thousands of books that have not been allowed to live on the shelf.   Some do not make it.  Over the years I have removed them from the shelf.  Having a limited shelf involves mulling and culling.


In the end, I suspect it has largely to do with literary triage.  What I think is most important right now gets read.  The rest are compelled to wait.  Most books sit there patiently waiting, day after day, hoping against hope they will be read someday soon.


If you, like me, have collected books on the shelf, be proud of your books.  Read what you can and forgive yourself for those you haven’t read.  There is only so much time.  Surround yourself with books and you will never be alone. The shelf is a holy sacred place where only a few get to wait.

1 comment: