Friday, September 30, 2016

Three Secrets to Staying Sane


My oldest son told me that one thing I have been right about in life has been sleep.  When he was younger, I belabored and nagged him about getting seven to nine hours of sleep a night. 

In the Bible one of the first things God does is put Adam to sleep.  And in those stories even God rested after all of the creating. 

Sleep is imperative and next in line is staring.  Take time to stare into space.  Staring can be restorative and inspirational.  When I stare I feel like am keeping myself open for the muses to enter my brain. And they do, helping me to write, teach and think.

Finally, take time to sing out loud.  For years, I have been singing old and new songs, religious songs, the Israeli and the Russian national anthem, songs from the sixties, songs where I can’t remember the words so I make some words up, Christian hymns, Jewish liturgical songs and whatever songs come through my brain.  Singing is medicinal and sanity producing.  Try it.

So, sleeping, staring and singing.  These three will make the day better and saner.

No comments:

Post a Comment