Friday, March 31, 2017

What I Learned While Being a Christian


For almost thirty years, I was a Christian.  In the year 2000, I, a child of Holocaust survivors, left the Christian Church and returned to the Jewish tradition.  During my time in the Church, I was a pastor and theologian. But, a strange thing happened. The longer I hung around Christians, the more Jewish I became. In the year 2000, I returned to myself and my community.

 Living inside the Christian community, I learned many things.  Here are just a few.

First and foremost, I learned the importance of the word grace.  For many Christians, the word “grace” refers to the unmerited love of God.  For Jews, the word, “grace” is usually understood through the Hebrew word hesed, meaning, “loving kindness” and refers to God’s kindness in giving the Jewish people, God’s Torah or teaching.  Both Jewish and Christian uses of the word “grace” assert their common hope and faith that there is a God and this God is for human beings and not against them. 

I learned about something called “a theology of the cross.”  This theology looks at the event of Jesus being killed and asserts the presence of God despite the apparent absence of God in that event and paradigmatically in all our lives.   While I have problems with talk of salvation coming through cruelty and death, I can appreciate a theology which proclaims, “when God appears to be absent, that is precisely when God is present.” For thousands of years many Jews have trusted in God despite, in spite and to spite all that has happened to them.  A theology of the cross contains an honest realization:  Despite Jesus, the world remains a dangerous place.  The power of faith in the hidden and revealed God exhibited in the cross of Jesus is central and important to many Christians.  Though, I must admit, that such a faith or theology, as far as I can see, did not work during the Holocaust, a time and place where many Christians were not Christian, God was not God and the world went mad.

 I also learned, there are a variety of ways to be Christian. There seems to be no lack of Christians willing to argue with other Christians about who’s legitimately Christian.  And, no surprise, this is also true among Jews.  The seductive belief that you or your group possesses theological and moral certainty is indeed tempting.  The Christian notion of original sin however, when it is working well, provides an antidote.  It urges people to have humility and admit they know, they do not know. To paraphrase Michael Lewis, in his book, The Undoing Project, a true theologian is “a person who knows his own mind well enough to mistrust it.”  And this is and ought to be true for Jews, Christians, for believers and unbelievers!

 I learned there are many Christians ignorant concerning Jews, Judaism and the Jewish roots of Christian faith. Perhaps this is different in other parts of the Church.  My view is, after all, limited to the upper Midwest and its Lutheran contingent.   But I have also met and continue to meet Christians who respect the Jewish religion and tradition.  I meet Christians who are aware of the long history of anti-Judaism and persecution of Jews by Christians.  And I have many students who try to study the Holocaust with me.  The schism between Jews and Christians is going through a slow healing process.  We have come so far and we have so far to go.  Let us continue.

When it became clear to me that I could no longer run away from myself and my community, I had to leave the Church.  I knew I had to be Jewish to remain sane and alive. There were Christian friends who encouraged me to keep teaching at the college/ university and so I have done.  They understood why I had to depart. They do so to this day. I have great affection for each of them.

Finally, I learned, irrevocably and inextricably, I am a Jew.  To continue to be a Christian was the equivalent of committing theological and existential suicide.  Those were painful years full of internal struggle and not much sleep.   But I have come to the other side.   My journey has not been in vain.  I have come to respect Christian tradition and to respectfully disagree with that tradition.   




No comments:

Post a Comment