Friday, April 7, 2017

Listening is not easy


Listening and remembering do not come natural to human beings.  First off, I must confess while I listen to what my wife says, I do not always remember what she says.   I suspect I am not alone.

There is a central Jewish prayer called the Shema.  The word Shema means listen.  The Shema prayer goes like this, “Listen Israel, God, our God, is one.”  Twice each day, religious Jews say this prayer and remind themselves to listen and remember.

And, do you realize there’s an entire book in the Bible exhorting people to listen and remember?  The book of Deuteronomy is the final sermon by Moses to the people Israel.  He tells them to listen, remember, do not forget, and act intentionally.  The message about listening and remembering in Deuteronomy is repeated and repeated and repeated.  Btw, the Shema prayer comes from Deuteronomy 6:4.  In this book, Moses knows that his listeners have a problem listening and remembering.   But he patiently reminds them again and again to listen and not forget.

 I think the reasons we don’t listen well are obvious.  We are distracted by other things.  Hindus talk about the “demons of distraction” that keep us from seeing what is real, knowing what is worthwhile, listening to what is true, and remembering what is vital.  Thinking about other things, not paying attention, not caring, not being there even when we are there are all reasons we have problems listening.

For the writer in Deuteronomy, it matters that we listen because it matters to God. In the book, we are partners with God and God needs us to live our lives according to his teachings. And we too seem to need God to stay sane.   If you love and are loved by someone you care because it matters to them.  Whether it is God or a spouse, listening well, remembering, not forgetting and acting well are part of loving and caring for someone besides yourself. 

There is a famous Jewish saying, “In memory lies redemption.” If you remember who you are, where you came from, you will have life.   I suspect the writer of Deuteronomy knew something about this.  Did you notice that every week in Church, Synagogue and Mosque, the same things are said again, again and again?  Our religious traditions know that we do not listen well and we tend to forget.   We have set up all sorts of rituals to remind us and remind us.   
As a husband, I am aware that sometimes, regardless of my best intentions, I need to rely on the good patience of my wife to help me remember.  And I know, the message will have to be repeated, repeated and repeated.  Listening is not easy! There is so much going on, it is so easy to forget. 

My point?  All this is not new.  It may be more technologically complicated today.  But we still live our lives between listening and remembering. We Jews say the Shema every day; I try to tell my wife that I love her every day; I end my classes telling my students to “Stay sane out there.”  We need to be reminded of what we must remember.  Listening and remembering, not easy, but worth the effort!






No comments:

Post a Comment